Tuesday 3 June 2014

Assessment 4 - Joining structure

I created a dodecahedron in grassshopper with the Lunchbox plugin

I separated the faces and edges so that I could work on one face and apply the same step to the other faces

 Planes were created on every face



One face was extruded and the edges were divided into 5 segments so that the slots can be made



Rectangular blocks were swept along the edges to create the slots and then were trimmed out from the extruded face 


The faces were then oriented and exported for laser cutting 





The first attempt at laser cutting the model (below). 
Problem encountered: Even though I took the material thickness into account, I didn't think about the angles required for the assembly of the dodecahedron, therefore the slot sizes need to be adjusted. 





The final product.
The slot sizes were adjusted and fit together perfectly so that glue was not required.   

No comments:

Post a Comment